Fort Riley, Kansas


Fort Riley Museums

U.S. Cavalry Museum

*** Fort Riley museums closed temporarily for major renovation ***

The main museum buildings will be closed for at least two years during the renovation project, which includes updating lighting and technology and redesigning the display spaces. A third building in the complex will also be renovated to provide classroom space. The project is funded by the U.S. Army Center of Military History and has been designed to preserve and highlight the historic structure of the museum buildings. 

The Custer House, outside exhibits and monuments are still available to visitors. 

Mission Statement as approved by the Center of Military History:
"To collect, preserve, exhibit, and interpret those materials that are integral parts of the history and traditions of the U.S. Cavalry from 1775 to 1950. In addition, the Museum Division is responsible for exhibiting and interpreting the history of Fort Riley from its establishment to the present, to include its various schools, major commands, and community life. To support post education, training, research, and historical programs. The museum will provide educational programs and services."

Museum Information

Collapse All Expand All
The Museum Division is a resource for Fort Riley soldiers and commanders to enrich awareness, understanding and appreciation of the history and traditions of their unit, Fort Riley and United States Army. The Museum Division offices are located on the second floor of Building 205. To contact the museum call (785) 239-2737.

The following services are provided.


•Assist in staff rides to Wilsons Creek, MO and Pea Ridge, AR and other sites.

•Coordinates vehicle and weapon identification classes.

•Provides historical research support.

•Provides guidance and support in accounting for unit historical property.

•Operate the Museum Division Library for on-site research.


•Operation of the U. S. Cavalry Museum, 1st Infantry Division Museum and Custer House.

•Design, construct and install unit historical exhibits (unit required to reimburse for materials).

•Programs upon request regarding Army history and heritage to include professional development classes and oral history interviews.

•Support Unit Events (i.e. Dining-ins; loan of display panels, easels).

•Provide color guard uniforms for ceremonial events.
The Friends of the Fort Riley Museum Gift Shop is temporarily located in Building 247.

The gift shop is open 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday - Friday.

Phone number is (785) 239-2743 and you may visit them on Facebook at

If you are interested in renting the Custer House Side B for your next event or function please call (785) 239-2737 for more information.

HASFR members $25

Non-members $35

Plus a Refundable Deposit of $50.

Arcadia Publishing has released a pictorial history of Fort Riley. The book features over 150 photographs, covering the history of the post from its establishment in 1853 to the present day. Most of the photographs are drawn from the U. S. Cavalry Museum collection.

Chapter headings cover the frontier post, the golden years of the cavalry, the Great War and Camp Funston, the interwar years, World War II, containment and peacekeeping, sports and famous personalities.

The book is part of Arcadia's Images of America series which celebrates the history of neighborhoods, towns, and cities across the country.

The book was co-authored by Mr. William McKale, Director of the Museum Division at Fort Riley, and Dr. Robert Smith, Museum Archivist.

The book, which retails for $19.99 plus tax, is available at Custer's Cottage, located in Bldg. 205 (the U. S. Cavalry Museum). For more information call (785) 239-2743.