Fort Riley, Kansas



Spc. Jocelyn Luis Carrasquillo, Killed Mar. 13, 2004, 24th Infantry Division, 30th Enhanced Separate

By Unknown | Media Relations Office, Public Affairs | April 26, 2009

24th Infantry Division Soldier Killed in Iraq

RALEIGH – A North Carolina Army National Guard soldier was killed on Saturday, Mar. 13, in Baghdad, Iraq, when an improvised explosive device (IED) detonated near the vehicle in which he was riding.

Killed was Spc. Jocelyn Luis Carrasquillo, age 28, of Wrightsville Beach, N.C. A unit supply specialist, Carrasquillo was assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company of the 1 st Battalion, 120 th Infantry, 30th Heavy Separate Brigade, 24th Infantry Division headquartered in Wilmington. No other soldiers were hurt in the attack.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Spc. Carrasquillo, and we ask that everyone keep the Carrasquillo family in their thoughts and prayers," said Maj. Gen. William E. Ingram, Jr., adjutant general of the North Carolina National Guard. "Spc. Carrasquillo's death is a terrible tragedy, but the mission for which he gave his life continues with his fellow soldiers who remain on duty in Iraq."

" We will miss Spc. Carrasquillo," said Brig. Gen. Danny Hickman, commander of the North Carolina National Guard's 30 th HSB, the parent unit for Carrasquillo's company, from the brigade headquarters in Iraq. "His passing will affect us all, but serves to increase our resolve to succeed in our mission."

Carrasquillo entered federal active service on Oct. 1, 2003, when his unit was activated as part of the call-up of the 30 th HSB, headquartered in Clinton. The brigade, made up of nearly 5,000 soldiers, 3,800 from North Carolina armories, departed Ft. Bragg, N.C., for Iraq from Feb. 23 through Mar. 1. Part of the 1 st Infantry Division while on duty in Southwest Asia, the unit will spend 18 months on active duty, 12 months of that in the Iraqi theater.

Carrasquillo joined the U.S. Army Reserve in January 1997 and transferred to the North Carolina Army National Guard in September 2001.