Fort Riley, Kansas



Army regulation requires post solicitors to obtain permit

By Shandi Pase | DFMWR | December 28, 2011

Those with home-based businesses are required to run their business under two policies – AR 210-7 Personal Commercial Solicitation on Army Installations and Fort Riley Regulation 210-7 Commercial Solicitation at Fort Riley, which will be published soon.

"By having this program in place, it helps maintain solicitation from unknown sources coming to Fort Riley," said Dori Farrow, chief, administration and operations, Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation. "While Soldiers are deployed, their spouses want to stay safe and not have to deal with salesmen. Though we have authorized businesses that can sell on post, they still can't go door-to-door."

The Army regulation outlines what home business owners can and cannot do within their business on a military installation.

This regulation prescribes general policy on the solicitation and sale of all goods, services and commodities, including all types of insurance on military installations that are sold or solicited by dealers, tradesmen and agents.

In order to sell goods or services at Fort Riley, business owners or agents are required to submit a solicitation permit application.

According to Army Regulation 210-7, agents will be notified by letter the request has been approved. Upon receipt of this letter, the agent will take the letter to the Solicitation Office in Building 253 Cameron Avenue on Main Post to obtain the commercial solicitation card.

These permits are good for one year.

Agents who wish to renew authorization for the same items or services offered need only to submit a request for renewal of their permit.

Changes in items or services offered by an agent require the submission of complete information regarding those changes to DFMWR for approval.

Only five representatives per home-based company will be authorized solicitation permits, and an individual can't represent more than two companies.

Those companies with current permissions for soliciting on post include, but are not limited, to Mary Kay Cosmetics, Scentsy Wickless Candles, Thirty-One, Tastefully Simple, Avon, Longaberger Baskets, Pampered Chef, Silpada Designs and Stampin' Up.

Distribution or posting of flyers, business cards or promotional material on the installation is prohibited.

According to the Army regulation, solicitation is restricted to specified times and locations designated by battalion or company commanders.

Solicitation is not authorized in barracks or other troop housing areas; recreation service facilities, including libraries, recreation centers and dayrooms; Riley's Conference Center; Rally Point; Warrior Zone or in areas other than locations specifically designated by battalion or separate company commanders.


Written reports of soliciting violations can be made to the Solicitation Office during the hours of 7 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The office is closed on garrison resilience days off. After hour reports can be made through the Fort Riley Police Department provost marshal by calling 785-239-6767.

Acute or repeated violations can result in suspension of solicitation privileges, according to the regulation guidelines. Solicitors re-entering Fort Riley in violation of the bar to entry may be prosecuted for violation.


Families in on-post housing are allowed to have yard sales in individual Family housing units.

Those having yard sales don't need solicitation permits; however, guidelines do apply, which include:

• Yard sales are authorized in Family housing areas only; no public-use area will be used.

• Yard sales are not authorized on Huebner Road from First Division Road to Carpenter Avenue.

• Family housing occupants must register their yard sales with their community mayor.

• Yard sales are intended for residents of government quarters to dispose of items that are no longer needed. The items must be in usable condition and fairly priced commensurate with condition.

• Items must be from the household and may not be purchased from outside commercial enterprises for resale at the yard sale, nor can an individual buy from any other source such as flea markets, other yard sales or thrift shops with the purpose of resale.

• Family housing occupants who operate an authorized home business from their government quarters may not sell items from their home business in yard sales.

• Several residential units may combine yard sales at one location in the housing area; however, individuals living off post may not participate in yard sales at Fort Riley.

• One sign may be used to advertise a yard sale. This sign will be placed in front of the residential unit only. Other signs, indicating direction and location of sale are prohibited.

For more information, call the solicitation office at 785-239-3467.