Fort Riley, Kansas



FROM THE INSPECTOR GENERAL’S OFFICE - Ex-military spouse needs identification card for child


Dear IG,

I am divorced from a military spouse and have a 5-yearold child, whose Department of Defense identification card has expired. I went to the Defense Enrollment Eligibly Reporting System office to get an DOD ID card for my child and was told by the DEERS office personnel that my ex-spouse is the only authorized person who can sign the DD Form 1172-2 (ID Card/DEERS Application form) in the absence of a Special Power of Attorney. I have been calling my ex-spouse for a couple of weeks to obtain this form but have had no luck contacting him. I do not know my ex-spouse’s unit or his commander’s phone number. I am worried my child will need medical care soon and the military medical facility will deny him care. Please help me get a DOD ID card for my child.

Respectfully, Worried Mom

Dear Worried Mom,

The DEERS Office normally provides DOD ID cards to children who are 10-yearsold and older; however, in your case, your child may obtain a DOD ID card. In accordance with Army Regulation 600-8-14, table 4.3 condition for issue of DOD ID cards to children under age 10, item 4; states “The child does not reside in the household of an eligible adult family member.” Since the child resides with you, the child is required to have a dependent DOD ID card. Also in accordance with Army Regulation 600-8-14, paragraph 8.1.2, “Sponsor may not deny or revoke benefits and privileges, or issuance of a DOD ID for an eligible dependent without appropriate legal documentation.” This means your child is still entitled to benefits, privileges and issuance of an ID card because your child is a service member’s dependent.

I wanted you to be aware of ways to obtain a military ID card for your child without your ex-spouse, the Sponsor, being with you at the DEERS office. The preferred method is to have your ex-spouse go to his local DEERS office and sign the DD Form 1172-2 to verify the child’s information, then that office can forward the signed form to your nearest DEERS Office.

Another option is to obtain a special power of attorney for updating DEERS from your ex-spouse, the sponsor. In accordance with Army Regulation 600-8-14, Chapter 2, paragraph, “a special power of attorney is acceptable when the sponsor is not present to sign for a family member’s DEERS enrollment or ID card application.”

Obtaining a temporary ID card for your child is another possible course of action. In your case, I believe this is probably the best option for you since you have been unable to contact the sponsor to sign. In accordance with Army Regulation 600-8-14, paragraph 8.2, when a sponsor is unable or unwilling to sign the DD Form 1172, “the DEERS Office will issue temporary DOD ID cards up to 30 days. DEERS personnel or verifying official will send a letter to the sponsor that includes the DD Form 1172-2 for verification and signature. If the sponsor is still unable or unwilling to sign the DEERS form, upon expiration of the temporary DOD ID card, your child will receive a permanent ID card with an expiration date. “The expiration date will be the sponsor’s date of expiration of term of service or four years whichever is soonest.” Be sure to provide your child’s verifying documents to the DEERS Office to receive your child’s ID card. Items such as Social Security card, passport, driver’s license, birth certificate or other official document are valid identification documents when enrolling a member or dependent in DEERS or when issuing DOD ID cards.

Your issue of not getting in contact with your ex-spouse or ex-spouse’s unit commander, may be resolved by calling the local Inspector General Office where your ex-spouse is stationed. Be sure you give all the information you have for your ex-spouse to the IG Office so personnel can expedite the process to locate his unit and his commander. The IG Office staff will only give you the commander’s name and contact information. Army Regulation 600-20, paragraph 5-8b states “when commanders are apprised of complaints or accusations against military personnel, they will be expected to inquire into the matter and attempt a resolution.”

If you have any additional questions, please call the Office of the Inspector General at 785-239-IGIG (4444).


Fort Riley IG 


Tag DEERS   Tag ID Card