Ready Army encourages Families to prepare
Story by: Fort Riley Public Affairs
Family members should know what to do when severe weather strikes when they are at home, work, school or other public locations they frequent. They should develop a safety plan for times when they are participating in outdoor recreation activities, sporting events or working outdoors. All Family members should know where to go, should severe weather strike their location.
Some other things the National Weather Service recommends Families do to prepare for severe weather:
* Post emergency telephone numbers by phones. Include cell phone numbers for your chain of command and Family Readiness Group.
* Install safety features in your house, such as smoke detectors and fire extinguishers;
* Inspect your home for potential hazards (such as items that can move, fall, break, or catch fire) and correct them;
* Have your Family learn basic safety measures, such as CPR and first aid; how to use a fire extinguisher; and how and when to turn off water, gas, and electricity in your home;
* Teach children how and when to call 911 or your local Emergency Medical Services number;
* Keep enough supplies in your home to meet your needs for at least three days. Replace stored food and water every six months. Assemble a disaster supplies kit with items you may need in case of an evacuation. Store these supplies in sturdy, easy-to-carry containers, such as backpacks or duffle bags. Keep important family documents in a waterproof container. Keep a smaller disaster supplies kit in the trunk of your car.
On Fort Riley, you'll hear the emergency warning signal of a siren in case of a tornado, at that time you should immediately seek shelter and tune in to Riley TV on the post cable channel 2 or one of the following local radio stations for updates and area specific information: Junction City: AM 1420, FM 97.5, 103.5; Manhattan: AM 1350, FM 101.5, 104.7, 95.3; Abilene: FM 98.5, 102.5; Clay Center: FM 100.9; Salina: AM 1150; Topeka: AM 580.
Last Updated: 06/13/2013 9:55 AM