Review these Frequently Asked Questions to answer questions you may have.
- Can I walk in to get my DA photo?
All photography services are scheduled by appointments at www.vios.army.mil.
- What is required for a DA photo shoot?
Wear or bring uniform (jacket, shirt, tie, trousers/skirt plus all authorized awards, ribbons or badges).
- Will photographer help me with my uniform?
No, photographer will not know what you are authorized to wear. It is your responsibility to ensure your uniform is clean, fits properly and all pertinent awards, ribbons and badges are placed on your uniform.
- Are dressing rooms available?
Yes, dressing rooms are available for you to change.
- Do I need to bring my trousers or skirt for the DA photo?
Photo is not full figure but upper portion of trousers or skirt will be visible.
- Is Distinctive Unit Insignia (DUI) required for DA photo?
DUIs are the only exception to the permanent rule (AR 640-30, Ch 7a (3)).
- I was told to remove the DUIs for the photo shoot, is this correct?
No, see above. DUIs are required.
- Can I wear my Infantry rope or other military cords or ropes?
No, only the Schutzenschnur is authorized.
- Can officers wear the Schutzenschnur rope?
Officers are not authorized, enlisted soldiers only.
- I have Leadership tabs and Infantry blue discs, can I wear them?
No, remove all leadership tabs and infantry blue discs.
- Can I wear a unit award which I received from the unit that I am assigned to?
No, wear only permanently awarded unit awards which is or are stated on your ERB or ORB (AR 670-1, CH23-30).
- I was awarded a unit award while assigned to the unit with orders, can I wear it?
Yes, if you were awarded the unit award and have permanent orders authorizing you the unit award.
- I am receiving a new award, but it has not been added to my ERB or ORB. Can I wear the new award for the DA photo?
Wear only authorized ribbons, badges, and awards that are current in your record as of the date of the photo. It is your responsibility to ensure your ERB or ORB match your photo.
- I had my photo taken and realized, I have the wrong ribbon. Can I do a retake of the photo?
It is yours and the Command's responsibility to ensure your uniform is correct prior to coming to the studio. Re-takes are taken only for the following reasons (per AR 640-30, Para 5):
- A major change in physical and/or uniform appearance due to weight gain/loss or pregnancy.
- An award of an Army Commendation Medal or higher.
- Grade change (promotion).
- I missed my appointment because I had other important things to do.
DA photo appointment is a designated place of duty, like medical or SRP appointments. Missed appointments are costly and you are taking away another service member's appointment opportunity.
- To cancel an appointment call 239-3781.
- A listing of 'no shows' or late cancellation (same day) will be provided to the Garrison CSM for further action.
- When you are a 'no show' during the active board months from October through February, you are preventing another service member from utilizing the much needed appointment.
- Where can I go to review my DA photo?
Go to AKO, on the front page of AKO you will see a reference to DA Photo, My Photo or DAPMIS. Select and accept your photo. Once you have approved your photo, it will take up to 72 hours to load to your ERB or ORB.
- I did not see my photo in DAPMIS, what do I need to do?
Contact the facility where you took your photo (Ft. Riley, 239-3781) to ensure photo has been uploaded to DAPMIS with the correct name and SSN as it appears on the personnel database.
- I am a 2LT/WO1/SGT and was told to submit a DA photo for my ERB/ORB.
AR 640-30, Ch 5: Policy, para (2) states, "DAPMIS for all Active Army commissioned and WOs (except second lieutenants and WO1s, and sergeants (SGT)) and All NCOs in the grade of staff sergeant (SSG) (E-6) and above.
- I am deploying next month and I will be promoted to 1LT/WO2 after I deploy, can I get a photo with the promotable grade?
No, AR 640-30 states, you are promoted to 1LT or WO2 the day of your photo, otherwise DAPMIS will automatically reject your photo.
- Can I submit hard copies of my DA photo?
No, DA photo is submitted electronically via a designated VI facility. To locate a VI facility see next question.
- How can I find the location of the nearest VI facility for DA photo?
Use this URL to locate the nearest facility http://www.defenseimagery.mil/.
- What happens if I do not 'accept' or 'reject' my photo within three (3)business days?
DAPMIS will automatically accept the photo on the 4th business day and it will become your official DA photo for record.
- Can I reject the current DA photo after the DAPMIS has accepted the image?
No, once DAPMIS accepts the photo, you will need to take a new photo to replace the current photo.
- I went to DAPMIS, viewed and approved my DA photo, but when I logged into my ERB/ORB, my photo was not available. Will the promotion board see my photo?
Yes, as long as your photo has been accepted and is in the DAPMIS database, the board will be able to view your photo.
- I am concerned and want to ensure my DA photo is available in time to be viewed by the board members.
You should contact your career manager to update your board file with the current photo in DAPMIS. This can be completed within 48 hours or two business days after the photo has been accepted.
- How does an Active Guard (SGR) Soldier update the date of last photo on their ERB/ORB?
Contact the enlisted or officer record section at St. Louis when the date does not automatically update.
- What is the timeframe for my photo to be available for other applications (OMPF, myERB, myORB) once I have accepted the photo?
The photo is normally available within 72 hours on those records.
- Can a Sergeant or below submitting a packet for OCS, Green to Gold, Warrant, Recruiting, Reclassification, Special Forces have their DA photo uploaded to their ERB?
No, you will receive hard copies, which you will submit with your packet. Your photo will not be uploaded via DAPMIS, as AR 640-30 requires you to be in the grade of a SSG or higher.
- Are all Soldiers, regardless of rank, DA photos loaded into DAPMIS?
No, all active duty, National Guard, Army Reserve officers and enlisted soldiers are authorized an official photo IAW AR 640-30. However, enlisted soldiers below the grade of SSG, WO1 or 2LT will not receive a DA photo. DAPMIS is the repository for all DA photos and this system will automatically reject their photos due to regulation and grade.
- Our unit took an artwork off the internet, can I use it on my project?
Any artwork taken from the internet has a possible copyright, in this case, this artwork cannot be used. Artwork must be copyright free or you will need to contact the individual who created the artwork and receive a letter stating you are authorized to use it.
- Our unit is having an organization day and would like invitations and posters made. Can we get VI support?
Unfortunately, we can only provide services for official military ceremonies. However, we can assist in referring you to an outside source.
- I have a project that requires printing, can I bring it to the VI facility for printing?
All printing is done at DLA (formerly DAPS) located at 263 Cameron Avenue or call 239-2462.
Last Updated: 08/07/2013 9:02 AM