National Safety Month 2012
June is National Safety Month. National Safety Month is an annual observance to educate and influence behaviors around the leading causes of preventable injuries and deaths; this year's theme, "Safety 24/7".
Week 1 (June 3-9) – Employee Wellness
According to the World Health Organization at least 80% of all heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes – and up to 40% of cancer – could be prevented by making better food choices, engaging in more physical activity and quit smoking. Poor eating habits and lack of physical activity are the major contributing factors to being overweight and obese in the U.S. Physical activity not only helps control your blood pressure; it also helps you manage your weight, strengthen your heart and manage your stress level.
Week 2 (June 10-16) - Ergonomics
Did you know? Overexertion is the third leading cause of unintentional injuries in the United States, accounting for about 3.2 million emergency room visits.
Ergonomics involves designing the job environment to fit the person and is important to take into consideration at work, but also while working on projects at home. It's about learning how to work smarter and preventing conditions such as overexertion.
Ergonomic conditions are disorders of the soft tissues, specifically of the muscles, nerves, tendons, ligaments, joints, cartilage, blood vessels and spinal discs. These conditions are often caused by factors such as:
• Overexertion while lifting, lowering, pushing, pulling, reaching or stretching
• Repetitive motions
• Working in awkward positions
• Sitting or standing too long in one position
• Using excessive force
• Resting on sharp corners or edges
• Temperature extremes
Week 3 (June 17-23) - Preventing Slips, Trips and Falls
Most falls are preventable. Many people attribute falls to being clumsy or not paying attention, but many risk factors exist. Risk factors include physical hazards in the environment, age-related issues and health conditions. Falls are one of the leading causes of unintentional injuries in the United States, accounting for approximately 8.7 million visits to the emergency department. Adults 55 and older are more prone to becoming victims of falls, and the resulting injuries can diminish the ability to lead active, independent lives. The number of fall deaths among those 65 or older is 4 times the number of fall deaths among all other age groups.
Statistics show that the majority (60 percent) of falls happen on the same level resulting from slips and trips. The remaining 40 percent are falls from a height.
Slips happen where there is too little friction or traction between the footwear and the walking surface. Common causes of slips are:
• Wet or oily surfaces.
• Occasional spills.
• Weather hazards.
• Loose, unanchored rugs or mats.
• Flooring or other walking surfaces that do not have the same degree of traction on all areas.
Trips happen when your foot collides (strikes, hits) an object causing you to lose the balance and, eventually fall. Common causes of tripping are:
• Obstructed view.
• Poor lighting.
• Poor housekeeping practices, such as clutter in your way.
• Wrinkled carpeting.
• Uncovered cables or wiring.
• Bottom drawers not being closed.
• Uneven (steps, thresholds) walking surfaces.
Both slips, trips, and falls result from some kind of unintended or unexpected change in the contact between the feet and the ground or walking surface. This shows that good housekeeping, quality of walking surfaces (flooring), selection of proper footwear, and appropriate pace of walking are critical for preventing fall accidents.
Week 4 (June 24-30) – Drive Safely
Did you know?
The National Safety Council estimates almost 25% of crashes involve cell phone use while driving. Driving is one of the most dangerous activities you will do each day. As traffic on the roads increases during the summer months, keep in mind the safety tips below to stay safe when driving for work or pleasure.
• Refrain from using your cell phone.
• Put your cell phone on silent or in the glove box to avoid temptation.
• Safely pull over to take or make a call.
• Change your voicemail message to say you are unavailable when driving.
• Always wear your seat belt – every trip, every time.
• Make sure every passenger is wearing his or her seat belt before you move your vehicle.
• Children should sit in the back and use the proper child safety seat or booster seat.
• Keep your emotions in check and don't take frustrations out on other drivers.
• Plan ahead and allow enough time for unexpected delays.
• Focus on your own driving.
• Don't tailgate or flash your lights at another driver.
• If you must, use your horn sparingly.