Recreation opportunities abound in and near Fort Riley. Explore the information below for more details about programs and activities available through DFMWR, Chaplain/Religious Support Office, Corvias Military Living, and more!
1st Infantry Division and Fort Riley Calendar & Events List
• The Fall Apple Day Festival is hosted by Fort Riley each September at Artillery Parade Field on Main Post.
Various activities may include a petting zoo, expo tent, food provided by Family readiness groups, Commanding General's Mounted Color Guard encampment and demonstrations, military working dog demonstrations, fire and safety displays, obstacle course, photo booth, tactical equipment display, weapons firing, paintball, and Humvee and all-terrain vehicle rides. Each year the Historical and Archaeological Society of Fort Riley (HASFR), along with volunteers, takes on the age-old tradition of the apple pie making, baking, and selling. These baked pies, along with slices, can be purchased at the HASFR tent during the festival. The festival is free and open to the public. Pets are not allowed at the festival.
• Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (DFMWR) - Family and MWR programs, services and activities offer Soldiers and Families opportunities to enrich their lives culturally and creatively. Our programs relieve stress, build strength and resilience, and help the Army Family stay physically, mentally, and financially fit. Includes: Child, Youth & School Services, Army Family Programs, Soldier Programs & Community Recreation programs.
• Fitness centers on Fort Riley and the fitness programs offered.
• Custer Hill Lanes Bowling Center at the corner of Normandy Drive and Estes Rd on Custer Hill.
• Fort Riley pools - locations and information.
• Rally Point Bingo, 2600 Trooper Drive in Camp Forsyth including Family Bingo Nights and Comedy Nights.
• Leisure Travel Center information.
• Outdoor Recreation Center has all your outdoor needs for the Fort Riley Marina, Skeet and Trap, equipment rentals. Located at building 1806 in Camp Funston.
• Local religious groups – visit the Chaplains web page to view information on various religious groups on post and in the local communities.
• Our Community Spouses’ Club (OCSC) - Membership in OCSC is open yearround to every military spouse at Fort Riley. The mission of the Fort Riley OCSC is to serve the military community by raising money to support local military programs, while offering quality educational and social opportunities for their members. For more information about OCSC, visit www.fortrileyocsc.com.
• Corvias Neighborhood Centers - We're introducing Neighborhood Centers in a number of areas. Designed to enhance our families' active lifestyles, they are open to all of our on-post Families and offer amenities like a pool, fitness center and daily conveniences like a computer lab and meeting space. Neighborhood Centers are already open in the Forsyth, McClellan Place, Warner Peterson and Ellis Heights Neighborhoods.
• Post-wide Yard Sales – Fort Riley holds a post-wide yard sale twice a year, usually in May and September. The yard sales will be posted to the 1st ID and Fort Riley website Calendar and Events List when the dates are scheduled. All residents living on-post are invited to participate in the post-wide yard sales and the public is invited to come to Fort Riley for them.
• Yard Sales – Families in on-post housing are allowed to have yard sales in individual Family housing units. Those having yard sales don’t need solicitation permits; however, guidelines do apply. Contact your Corvias Neighborhood Office for the guidelines.
• Beyond the Gates - The 1st ID Post newspaper includes a commentary column by staff writer Julie Fiedler, Beyond the Gates. In Beyond the Gates, Julie will help Soldiers, Family members, civilians and retirees discover Kansas by highlighting local attractions, fun and easy day trips and quirky Kansas attractions.
Experience ‘vortex of creativity’ in Lucas
Paxico is hidden gem full of treasures
Abilene offers something for everyone
Exploring picturesque Alma
Discover critters of Kansas in backyard
Discover prairie’s beauty in backyard, beyond
A Kansas City Sampler
Continue learning about Fort Riley. View these related items:
Getting Settled | Kid's Corner | Employment Readiness and Education | Recreation | Deployment Readiness | Links | Incoming Spouses Home
Last Updated: 06/12/2013 5:16 PM