Fort Riley, Kansas


Retiree Services

The Retirement Services Office handles all aspects of the retirement process, from helping Soldiers put their retirement packets together, counseling Soldiers regarding potential retirement benefits, to counseling spouses on the Survivors Benefits Plan.

Retirement packets should ideally be submitted 12 months before the requested retirement date. At a minimum, retirement packets should be submitted 9 months before anticipated start of transition leave.

Authority to approve/disapprove retirements: Commander, Human Resources Command.

Location: 217 Custer Avenue on Main Post, Room 106.

Hours of Operation: 0730-1200 Appointments, Monday - Friday
                                   1300-1500 Appointments, Monday - Friday

Closed RDOs & Federal Holidays

To submit Retirement Packet "Call for an Appointment."  We offer one on one Counseling to all prospective Retirees.

Please call for Appointment: (785) 239-3661/3320

Fax number: (785) 239-5249 or DSN 856-5249.

Handicap Parking: Parking for those with disabilities is behind building 217 on the East Side.  Designated parking spaces are on the left.

Retiree Information and Services

Collapse All Expand All
Fort Riley briefs SBP by individual appointment and covers it during the semi-annual pre-retirement brief in May and November of each year.
Installation Clearance Procedures

1. A Memorandum requesting out-processing installation clearing papers is sent via email or fax to Out-processing from the clearing Soldier's S1. This allows installation agencies to pre-clear the Soldier thus reducing up to 80 percent of the places a Soldier will have to go to out-process. Request must be received NET 60 days and NLT 24hr prior to when the Soldier will pick up his installation clearing papers from the Central Clearance Agency (CCA) in Building 210. Last minute submissions result in fewer agencies pre-clearing the Soldier.
2. For Soldiers that are separating by Chapter, they will need to get their memorandum authorizing them to clear CIF without orders signed off by the Transition Center (TC). Soldier will take that signed memorandum to the CCA to begin clearing.
3. For Soldiers that are permanent change of station (PCS), expiration time of service (ETS), or Retirement (RET), S1's will send the memorandum requesting out-processing via fax to 239-6873 or email to: alias: Riley DHR Out Processing. The memorandum will have the units letterhead and Soldier's information, signed with S-1's signature block.
4. Out-Processing Questionnaire needs to be attached with the Memorandum requesting out-processing, the Soldier fills out, S-1 forwards all documents needed via fax to Out-processing section via fax at 239-6873 or email to
5, Soldiers will pick up clearing papers on their respective date that was specified on the memorandum requesting out-processing, pick up needs to be at least 24 hours after the memorandum requesting Out-processing was transmitted to IO. For soldiers taking leave a copy of orders and signed leave form are required to pick up your clearing papers. We have also updated the questionnaire if you could substitute the one attached for the one on the web site.
6. Soldiers will pick up their Unit Clearance Record (DA Form 137-1) at their unit.
7. Soldiers can pick up the Installation Clearance Record (Fort Riley form) at the Central Clearance Agency (CCA) in Building 210 ten (10) working days before start of transition leave or permissive TDY (PTDY) taken in conjunction iwth PCS, ETS, or retirement.
8. If no transition leave or TDY is taken, clearance records can be picked up ten working days prior to the actual PCS, ETS, or retirement date. Soldiers pending elimination receive clearance forms as soon as the elimination is initiated with the commander's memorandum to clear without published orders.
9. Soldiers are exempt from duty rosters and routine duties ten (10) working days prior to ETS, PCS, or retirement.
10. Clearing time for transfer from one unit to another on post is normally one (1) duty day plus time required to turn in or be issued CTA-50 clothing and equipment, if required. This may be extended by the Commander in the case of Soldiers without POVs using government transportation.
11. Soldiers will be required to report to one formation each day during the clearance period unless excused by proper authority. This allows the commander/1SG to monitor the progress of soldiers' clearance.
12. Soldiers will be free to use time not required to clear military agencies to accomplish medical and administrative requirements, conclude personal affairs, and prepare for movement.
13. Only the unit commander or his/her representative can sign the Commander/1SGs signature on the Unit Clearance Record. When the unit commander is clearing the installation, clearance records will be signed by his rater or rater's authorized Deputy/XO.
14. Officers in the grade of Colonel (06) and above may designate a representative to clear the installation for them. However, these officers must personally clear their family quarters or bachelor quarters (BOQ) and arrange for shipment of household goods.
15. All Soldiers must clear their hand receipts and/or property books prior to their final CCA appointment.
16. Soldiers being administratively separated from the Army must complete installation clearance prior to reporting to the Transition Point for processing. CIF must be cleared as soon as possible after notification that a Soldier is being processed for administrative separation.
17. Soldiers conducting themselves improperly during outprocessing will be returned to their unit for corrective action.
18. Soldiers pending separation under certain Chapters will require an escort during outprocessing. Escorts will be of equal grade or higher (minimum E4) than the Soldier being separated.
19. All Soldiers will be in proper military uniform while clearing Fort Riley, to include final clearance at CCA.
20. After Soldiers clear CCA and the Transition Center or Retirement Services, they must sign out through their unit before leaving the installation.
Medical records are the property of the US Government, not the Soldier.

At least ten working days before ETS (or ten days before starting terminal leave/permissive TDY), Soldiers who want a copy of their medical records must go to the TMC or hospital where their records are kept and request to have a copy made. Just prior to Final Out, the original health record is transported to the Transition Point for subsequent transfer to either the Personnel Records Center in St. Louis or a VA Hospital. Only the CTMC or hospital can copy medical records.
1. A separation physical is not mandatory (except for retirees), but it is recommended. Soldiers who elect NOT to take a separation physical must obtain a waiver (Form 57, with attached DA form 2697) from hospital. Both forms require signature by a physician's assistant or a physician.
2. Soldier should complete separation physical at exam center now located at the hospital (Primary Care 3) from 30 up to 120 days out from ETS date or 60-90 days out from terminal leave.
3. Physical exams (Phase I and Retirement Physicals) will be by appointment only scheduled through the IACH centralized appointment line, 785-239-DOCS (3627).
4. When Soldiers appear for a separation physical, they should bring a list of medical conditions, illnesses, and injuries for which they were treated while on active duty.
5. Soldiers must personally pick up the physical at hospital when complete & bring it to the Transition Center for the Final Out Appointment.
6. Soldiers appearing for Final Out at the Transition Center cannot be cleared unless they bring either a completed separation physical or a waiver (with DA form 2697) signed by a physician or physician's assistant.
Provided by the Fort Riley Retirement Services Office

  • Coordinates, conducts, and facilitates detailed periodic Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) group briefings for all retiring Soldiers (highly encourage family members to attend).
  • Counsels Soldiers and family members concerning retirement rights, benefits, and privileges.
  • Conducts one-on-one SBP counseling for all retiring Soldiers, and their family members.
  • Conducts one-on-one (desk-side) Pre-Retirement briefings.
  • Assists retiring Soldiers and family members with completion of the DD Form 2656 (Data for Payment of Retired Personnel).
  • Processes the DD Form 2656 electronically using TRANSPROC to the Department of Defense Finance and Accounting Services, Cleveland (DFAS-CL).
  • Provides CSB/REDUX retirement pay option counseling, and processing of the CSB/REDUX pay option election form, DD Form 2839 (if assigned as the Installation CSB/REDUX Program Manager).
  • Other services and related information (if assigned those duties) related to pre-retirement services, such as, retirement application processing, retirement orders and DD Form 214 processing, and final out-processing procedures.
Provided by the Fort Riley Retirement Services

  • Counsels and assists survivors of retired Soldiers, and Soldiers who die on active duty regarding their SBP options and entitlements, and the proper processing of their SBP elections, which includes counseling on Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and its relationship to SBP.
  • Publishes/mails retiree newsletters at least annually.
  • Publishes periodic articles for installation and local newspapers.
  • Conducts an annual Retiree Appreciation Day (RAD).
  • Provides information and filing assistance for the "Annuities for Certain Military Surviving Spouses" - or ACMSS, also known as "Forgotten Widows".
  • Provides information and assistance to Soldiers, spouses, and former spouses regarding the Uniformed Services Former Spouse's Protection Act (USFSPA).
  • Assists/advises retired Soldiers in understanding and applying for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC).
  • Provides information to retired Soldiers on Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP).
  • Assists retired Soldiers and family members in obtaining: copies of lost documents (i.e., DD Form 214, retirement orders, and medical records); re-issuance of military awards; and issuance of military ID Cards.
  • Provides retired Soldiers and their families with information and referrals on a myriad of other benefits/entitlements including Veterans Affairs (VA), TRICARE medical/dental; Social Security/Medicare benefits; and others.
The following services are provided using the Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Cleveland (DFAS-CL) Defense Retired/Annuity Pay System (DRAS)

Defense Finance & Accounting Service (DFAS) - Retired Military

  • View retired Soldier's pay account
  • View annuitant's pay account
  • Change allotments
  • Change beneficiary information
  • Change mailing address
  • Change bank information
  • Change tax filing and withholding status
  • Request copies of the 1099-R form for tax filing purposes
  • Request copies of the Retired Account Statement
Who should attend Pre-Retirement Orientation?

All service members eligible for retirement, even those "just thinking" about retirement. Spouses are also welcome to attend.

When is the next Pre-Retirement Orientation for service members?

Soldiers are briefed individually. For specifics, call the Retirement Services Office at (785) 239-3320/3667.

When can I pick up my Installation Clearance Form?

Ten working days before start of transition leave or permissive TDY taken in conjunction with PCS, ETS, or retirement.

When am I exempt from duty rosters?

Soldiers are exempt from duty rosters and routine duties ten (10) working days prior to ETS, PCS, or retirement.

Do I have to attend formation while outprocessing?

Soldiers will be required to report to one formation each day during the clearance period unless excused by proper authority. This allows the Commander/1SG to monitor the clearance process.