Fort Riley, Kansas


Garrison Safety Office

Garrison Safety Office
"Excellence Through Professionalism"

Mission Statement:
Assuring and maintaining safe and healthful working conditions for the Soldiers, Family members, and civilian workforce in partnership with the Greater Flint Hills Community by employing the highest professional standards and providing exceptional service to Fort Riley.

The GSO is the provider of consistent, quality services that are a force multiplier in supported organizations' mission accomplishment, and materially enhance Soldier, Family and civilian well-being and readiness.

Safety Information

Collapse All Expand All

Garrison Safety Office

(785) 240-0647

Deputy Garrison Safety Office

(785) 240-4748

Garrison Safety Manager

(785) 239-8469

Ammunition Safety Specialist

(785) 239-2245

Industrial Safety Specialist

(785) 239-3421

Hazard Reporting

(785) 239-3421

Motorcycle Safety

(785) 239-3391

Radiation Safety

(785) 239-0517

Safety Training Coordinator

(785) 240-0647

USAG Safety Office

What is House Bill 2459, and why is it important to Soldiers stationed in the state of Kansas? House Bill 2459 is good news for military motorcycle riders because it allows Military motorcycle riders, who have completed prior motorcycle safety training, in accordance with Department of Defense Instruction 6055.04 (DoDI 6055.04), to obtain a class M (motorcycle) license without a written and driving test!

Kansas House Bill 2459 allows Soldiers who have taken an approved Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course (MSF) in any state, to obtain a class M license in the state of Kansas. The bill states, Military motorcycle riders "who have completed prior motorcycle safety training in accordance with department of defense instruction 6055.04 (DoDI 6055.04) are not required to complete further written and driving testing."

DoDI 6055.4, para 4f(1)(c) states, "Include an appropriate Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course or DUSD(I&E) endorsed, State-approved, curriculum for motorcycle operator's safety training. Provide certified or licensed rider coaches and include hands-on training, a riding skills evaluation, and a knowledge-based evaluation. Accept the completion card of any MSF course or DUSD(I&E)-endorsed course that includes written and riding evaluations as proof of successful completion of the required training."

Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) courses are offered off post at a cost of approximately $230.00, but the USAG Safety Office, in accordance with DoDI 6055.4, provides approved Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) courses to all Soldiers at no charge. These courses are designed to teach both new and experienced riders proper techniques for safe operation of motorcycles, as well as a driver skill and written test. The Basic Rider Course (BRC I) is the required foundational course for all Soldiers regardless of experience level. To enroll in any Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, please contact USAG Safety Office, 239-3391 for available course dates, enrollment information and verification of valid MSF certificate.

Military motorcyclist must still submit, with their application, proof of citizenship and residency in the state of Kansas. A U.S. Military ID - not expired (active duty, dependent, retired, reserve or National Guard) or a U.S. Military Common Access Card (CAC) with photo, DOB, name and branch of service, are acceptable documents of proof of citizenship. For proof of residency, check the Kansas Department of Revenue,, for a list of acceptable documents.

Soldiers are not required to pay the class M permit fee, $9.00 - $15.00 depending on how many years they request, or the associated fee to take the written test, $1.50, but are required to pay all other applicable fees for a class M license.

House Bill 2459 becomes law effective, July 1, 2012. For more information, contact the USAG Safety Office, (785) 239-3391.
Enrollment Procedures for US Army IMCOM Traffic Safety Training Program

1. Go to website

2. Click on "I ACCEPT".

3. Under the heading you will find; Region, Garrison and Courses

4. Using the down arrow choose the following:

Region "West"

Garrison "Fort Riley"

Courses: Choose course that you want to enroll i.e. Basic, Experienced or Sport Bike Course

5. Click on calendar icon or "Next Month" to select dates and courses if course is full for that month.

NOTE: Grayed out courses are past; courses in Red are filled; courses in Blue are available.

6. Click the desired date of course to enroll and follow the instruction.

NOTE: Please read "Course Detail" for qualification/requirements, date and time of the course.

7. Once registration is complete, click "Save"

8. ATV/Dirt Bike enrollment will be submitted to Garrison Safety Office to schedule class Bldg 500, Basement room 15.
Click here to expand contentClick here to collapse content  FAQs
How do I contact the Garrison Safety Office?

Garrison Safety Office at 240-0647.

How do I report an Accident?

Emergency 911, Ambulance 911, Fire Department 911, Military Police 911 or 239-6767, Spill (Fire Department) 239-4257, Garrison Safety Office 240-0647.  After Duty Hours (FROC) 239-2222.

Who do I contact for Safety training?

Garrison Safety Office at 240-0647 (except Motorcycle, contact 239-3391).

How do I enroll in Motorcycle Training?

Contact GSO at 239-3391.