Fort Riley, Kansas


Legal Assistance

216 Custer Avenue (Clausen Hall)

Monday - Thursday:  8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday:  8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Call (785) 239-3117 to schedule an appointment

The mission of the Fort Riley legal assistance program is to enhance the readiness of Fort Riley units through the provision of competent and timely legal services in order to:
1.  Help eligible clients avoid readiness-reducing legal issues before they occur,
2.  Resolve existing readiness-reducing legal issues when possible, and
3.  Improve soldier and family morale through the provision of such services.


Location and Contact Information
We are located on the 2nd floor of building 216, Clausen Hall, on Custer Avenue.  If you enter the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, building 216, through the main doors that face Custer Avenue, immediately turn left into the waiting room area for the Legal Assistance Office and check in with the front desk. 

Phone:  (785) 239-3117
Fax:  (785) 239-0576

Office Hours
**Walk-in Power of Attorney and Notary services are available during all hours of operations**
**Wills done by appointment only**
Monday - Thursday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Appointments:  9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Walk-in Appointments:  1 - 3:30 p.m. (Arrive at 1230 to check in for a walk-in appointment)
8 a.m. - 3 p.m. (Power of Attorney and Notary Services)

Divorce and Separation Briefing
Divorce and Separation Briefings are given every Tuesday at 8:30 the Small Court Room unless that Tuesday falls on a DONSA. Call (785) 239-3117 or walk in to schedule for the briefing

**All clients must attend the Divorce and Separation Briefing prior to seeing an attorney regarding divorces or separations**


Eligible Clients
You must have a current Active Duty or Retired military ID card with you to obtain services.  If you or your sponsor is a member of the Reserve or National Guard mobilized for 29+ days, you must have either an updated Active Duty ID card or copy of mobilization orders on hand.

Contractors and Reserve Component not mobilized for at least 29 days, and Individual Ready Reserve personnel are not eligible for services. 

DOD Civilians are only eligible for assistance on deployment matters and responses to Financial Liability Investigations of Property Loss (FLIPL).

The only individuals eligible for services without a military ID are:
 - Next of Kin of Service Members who died in an active status are eligible for probate assistance.
 - Parents or Guardians acting on behalf of a minor (the minor must have an ID card).
 - Holders of a special power of attorney for a legal assistance service for a deployed Service Member acting on his/her behalf.

Phone Services
We cannot provide legal advice over the phone and do not have the ability to locate or provide contact information for Service members assigned to Fort Riley or other installations.


Powers Of Attorney
Powers of attorney (POA) are offered on a walk-in basis at any time during business hours.  General POAs and Specific POAs are available.  Please make sure to bring all information related to the power(s) you are granting (such as year, make, model, and VIN for a Vehicle POA) and the correct name, address, and phone number of the person you are appointing to act on your behalf.  Only the individual granting the POA must be present.

Notary Services
**Do not sign any document requiring a notary seal until you are actually in front of the notary.**
Notarial Services are offered on a walk-in basis at any time during business hours.  Documents presented for notification must be completely filled out and unsigned.  If you need a certified copy of a public record (court record, birth certificate, marriage license, car title, etc.) you should contact the official custodian of the record you are seeking such as the DMV, courthouse, or state vital records agency.


Family Law
The 1st Infantry Division Legal Assistance Office will provide support with:  Divorce, Separation, Adoption, Child Support, Custody, and Paternity.  Clients with divorce/separation issues must attend a briefing prior to speaking individually with an attorney in our office.  The briefing is presented on Tuesdays at 0800 at 216 Custer Avenue in the Small Court Room.  The Legal Assistance Office cannot represent you in court.

Consumer Law
The 1st Infantry Division Legal Assistance Office will provide support with:  Debt Collection/Reporting Problems, Real Property and Leases, Contract Issues, Identity Theft, the Service members Civil Relief Act, and Bankruptcy in a very limited capacity.


The 1st Infantry Division Legal Assistance Office will provide support with:

  • Family-based immigration
  • Permanent residence
  • Parole in place
  • DACA

Citizenship and naturalization.  Matters related to asylum or representation before an immigration court will require a civilian attorney.   

Military Administrative
The 1st Infantry Division Legal Assistance Office will provide support with:  OER and NCOER appeals; FLIPL rebuttals and requests for reconsideration; General Officer Memorandums of Reprimand (GOMOR) rebuttals, removals, and transfers; Security Clearance rebuttals and appeals;  and other Military Administrative matters in accordance with AR 27-3, The Army Legal Assistance Program.

Will and Estate Planning
The 1st Infantry Division Legal Assistance Office will provide support with:  Wills, Advanced Medical Directives, and Health Care Powers of Attorney.  Wills are available by appointment only for all eligible clients.  A will worksheet must be completed prior to your appointment time.  Complicated estate planning may require a civilian attorney.

Real Property
The 1st Infantry Division Legal Assistance Office can provide support to Tenants in relation to Landlord/Tenant issues.

Helpful Links

Inclusion of a link does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Army or the 1st Infantry Division Office of the Staff Judge Advocate.

Army Forms and Regulations

Legal Assistance Services
Army Legal Assistance
Legal Assistance Office Locator
Kansas National Guard

Find an Attorney
Kansas Attorney Referral Service
Nationwide Attorney Referral Service

Kansas Legal Forms
Kansas Judicial Council
Kansas Legal Services

Local Court Information
Geary County District Court
Riley County District Court

Consumer Concerns & Identity Theft
Kansas Attorney General
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Federal Trade Commission