General Willard G. Wyman
Assistant Division Commander – Normandy, 6 JUN 1944
Turkey joined NATO on 18 February 1952. On 11 June 1952, NATO authorities decided to establish Allied Land Forces Southeastern Europe (LANDSOUTHEAST) in Izmir to be commanded by a United States (US) Army general officer who would have Turkish and Greek general officers as his deputies. The actual establishment of LANDSOUTHEAST occurred on 8 September 1952, when US General Willard G. Wyman assumed command and established his headquarters at Sirinyer. Headquarters LANDSOUTHEAST was initially staffed by Turkish, Greek and US military personnel and NATO international civilians. In 1954, representation was extended to French, Italian and United Kingdom military personnel. It was at this time that LANDSOUTHEAST moved to its newly constructed headquarters building in the Alsancak area of Izmir.
Into the M1 Garand/M14 breech stepped small arms designer Gene Stoner of ArmaLite. Having designed the 7.62x51mm AR-10 rifle, Stoner listened when General Willard G. Wyman, Commanding General of the U.S. Continental Army Command (CONARC) suggested that a scaled down version might be looked upon with favor by the SCHV program. ArmaLite engineers Jim Sullivan and Bob Fremont thereupon reduced the AR-10 around the hot varmint cartridge of the day, the .222 Remington.